This recipe serves 3 People
In the last few weeks I have shared with you different Jerk recipes. After Jerk Chicken and Jerk Shrimps it is now time for my flavourful, juicy Honey Jerk Salmon steak. Salmon is a very delicate fish that can quickly be overcooked.However when you prepare it correctly it is full of flavour and very buttery.
I will share all of my secrets with you for the perfect Honey Jerk Salmon.
3 thick cut fresh salmon steaks, 1 teaspoon of green seasoning, 2 loaded teaspoons of jerk seasoning, Salt and pepper to taste, 4 tablespoons of Olive oil 2 tablespoons of butter 3 tablespoons of honey crushed, ground pimento
1. Clean and prepare your fish For this particular recipe i recommend fresh salmon. Make sure your steaks are nice and thickly cut. Wash them in a big bowl in vinegar/lime water. Then clean
any scales and impurities off of your fish. Don't let it soak in the vinegar/lime water! It will start to change the texture of your fish. Rinse again afterwards with plain water. Very important: Pat your fish dry with kitchen towels and set aside. Try to get as much water off of your fish- otherwise it will break apart when you cook it.
2. Season your fish In a small, seperate bowl mix in your green seasoning
and your jerk seasoning. Add in your salt and pepper to taste and spoon it on your fish. Make sure all sides are covered with the fresh seasoning and pat it into the fish. It should be covered in an even and thin layer. Place it in the fridge to marinate for at least 1h, preferably over night.
3. Sear your fish Add some olive oil in a large pan on medium- high heat and add your Salmon steaks. Let it sear for 2 minutes before you add the butter to the pan. Turn your steaks around so they can sear on the second side as well. Baste it with the oil in the pan regurlarly to keep it nice and moist. The goal is to get a nice golden crust all around without cooking it through.
4. Bake your Fish in the oven: Place your salmon in a greased baking dish, add a little nob of butter on each steak and cover it with
tin foil before you bake it in a preheated oven for 7-10 minutes on 200°C. The tinfoil will keep all the moisture in your fish while allowing it to cook through. The butter will add additional flavour and it will ensure, that your steaks are fall apart tender.
Your salmon should be juicy and buttery on the inside and crispy on the outside.
5. Finish it off with the honey glaze Take your fish out and set it aside. Preheat your oven on the grill setting. In a little bowl add your honey and crushed pimento for added flavour. Mix it together very well and drizzle it over your Salmon steaks. The honey glaze should cover them in a even and thin layer. Add your salmon back in the oven and grill it for 3-5 minutes maximum. Keep a close eye on it since it can burn very easyly. Your salmon is ready when the honey glaze is golden brown and caramelized.
6. Serve it with your favorite side dishes, for example white rice and steamed vegetables.